Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Of Monsieur Two-Foot, Creator's Guffaw, and Granny Smith Apples

Greetings from the warm and sunny Duluth MN.


This shall be my first post as an official resident of Duluth and college student. I dearly hope you will pardon its sad musings, lack of structure, lack of point, and complete idiocy, but, if you can pardon all those faults, read on with pleasure, for I will also fill it with joyful things.


Well, if joy is what you are pining for. Here is a steaming plate of optimism for you. (Because I am in a down right optimistic mood).


All right. Well, first of all, I have discovered my special nook spot of college. And it is filled with waterfalls, fallish trees, goldenrod, moss, the sound of rushing water, a two-legged tree named Monsieur Two-Foot, a large boulder fondly nicknamed Rock Solid (due to my love of the Carmen Sandiego game of childhood), and steep hills. After finding out that I was not cast in any of the productions, I decided to give myself a little dose of nature in order to cope. So I slid on my plaid rainboots, buttoned up my vintage jacket, grabbed a scarf, and pocketed a granny smith apple and headed for some beauty.


I can't even express how good it is to get out of the stuffy confines of a school setting into the real and cozy world of living and existing and working people. No intellectualism. Just individuals simply living, doing laundry, working in their gardens, cooking potatoes, and lighting paper lanterns.


I walked and walked, feeling like a daring and independent adventurer. And, because of my good sense of direction (not lying here... I just get lost because of street names when driving), I found myself overlooking Chester Park (nicknamed by myself: Creator's Guffaw), the big ski jump in the distance. A golden glow was perforating the air and it quite took my breath away. I have to say I kinda teared up too. It just felt like God had nudged me on this walk to talk with me and be with me and show me His Creation. And oh my His Creation is marvelous.


The air in Duluth is so fresh. Its like you are continuously biting into a crisp watermelon or something. After exploring the wilderness for a while, I plunked myself down on Rock Solid and did some heavy duty Stage Makeup charcoal art. Yes I did. And felt mighty accomplished.


As it turned to dusk, I picked up my pack and headed back, street lamps glowing.


Alright, well, I think it was the next night that I had another joyful experience. Emma (my delightful roomate) and I had randomly decided to experiment with making cake in a cup in our microwave, so the night before we had a roomie bonding adventure at Target (which I will leave out because much happened then) and so we decided to make these cakes.


They puffed up into delicious chocolate goodness complete with chocolate chips and syrup and we propped ourselves up with pillows and had a chick flick night with 1990s Meg Ryan in "Sleepless in Seattle"


Well, that all occurred ages ago, a.k.a. last week, and since then I have had another beautiful solitary jaunt to Chester Park and Emma and I had another movie night, this time with a brilliantly made indie film entitled "Happy Accidents" which deals with the concepts of time.


I love how Emma and I can discuss the fundamentals of time while other folks discuss how they got so wasted last night. It makes me indescribably happy!


Well, I think that is all I will post about for right now.


I think I am headed to Whole Foods Market and Dannie Duluth Consignment Shop tonight.


Sincerely yours,
Carla 


Music of Day: (thanks Boopie for the idea)


~Wilderness by: Active Child
~Alohomora by Pogo
~Great Big Candy Mountain



No comments:

Post a Comment